Letter from the Campus Head
Established in 1936, St George’s Preparatory certainly has evolved since its founding years as an all-boys boarding Preparatory School in Port Elizabeth. Education certainly has changed since the early days when our first headmaster, Raymond Hutchison, arrived from Cape Town from Western Province Preparatory School in 1936. The original homestead, Knockfernia, still stands tall in our corner of Park Drive and resembles strongly our heritage. However, much has changed since then and we hope that Raymond Hutchinson would be proud of what we currently offer.
Sir Ken Robinson, in his book, “Creative schools”, mentions the following: “The challenge is not to reform education but to transform it. As we face a very uncertain future, the answer is not to do better what we’ve done before. We have to do something else.”
We have recently embarked on classroom renovations to suitably match this way of thinking. We have been walking this journey for three years now and we are very excited to have the types of learning spaces we wanted and the connectivity required. We are really looking forward to an exciting year of innovation, differentiated learning and hopefully collaboration of a higher level, not only from our pupils, but our staff and parents too.
We really do hope that this small change will begin to change the way we think about what we are doing for our entire community, pupils, parents and staff!
– Alex Hall, Campus Head